Pack of News: Topics – puppy mills and man kills 55 dogs in standoff

No Gravatar

A Billings, Mont. man is accused of killing 55 sled dogs on his property during a standoff with law enforcement officials Thursday night.

Reports indicate he fired on officers when they arrived on the scene, in response to a call from the man’s brother, indicating he might be suicidal. Officials heard a number of gunshots before the man was found laying on the ground near the bodies of the dogs.

He was charged with two felony counts of assault on a peace officer and ONLY one count of aggravated animal cruelty. How is that he only gets one count of animal cruelty?

PUPPY MILLS –

The ASPCA has launched a campaign to educate people about puppy mills – and discourage them from buying puppies from from pet stores.

A CBS New York article on the subject from Saturday noted 80 percent of respondents to a recent poll said they would not buy a puppy if they knew it came from a puppy mill. What are the other 20 percent thinking?

In Hertford, NC on Thursdays, volunteers from the Humane Society of the US and the Norfolk SPCA helped in the rescue of more than 65 dogs and cats from an alleged puppy mill operation.

WTVR.com reports many of the dogs suffered from severe dental disease, tumors, hernias, eye infections, and ear infections.

And another news station – WVEC.com – reports it will cost about $30,000 to cover the costs of caring for these rescued animals from this case. Hopefully the people responsible for the condition of these animals will be held responsible for this costs and on criminal grounds.